Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ubuntu Grub Error

After I tried all three methods suggested at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB%202, I decided to delete the partition for Ubuntu 10.04 and put Karmic Koala 9.10 on my hard drive. This time, a little bit better, I got a grub menu and booted in Windows XP. For Ubuntu 9.10, I got this error "No Such Device 1466abf9-419b-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX".

I clicked e to edit the command list. After several attempts to delete the command, I found delete command "search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 1466abf9-419b-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX" fixed the problem.

After I got into Ubuntu 9.10, I modified grub.cfg to not run the grub search command and upgraded to Lucid Lynx Beta 2. I guessed somehow grub and my hard drive did not get along. This work around fixed grub error out of disk and no such device.

No comments: